Pratham Books is looking for a dynamic Tamil Language editor, having full command over written, spoken and grammatically correct Tamil language and expertise in the translation process. The person needs to have a live connect with Tamil language and literature. The person will be responsible for anchoring the process of book development from translation of the manuscript in Tamil language to all the steps, which are needed to get the final books. The person will lead an outsourced team of translators, reviewers and proof readers, will work with the language and design team and will be responsible for the timely execution of all the processes involved.
This is a job that requires excellent English- Tamil translation ability, language skills, attention to detail. It also requires an interest in children’s literature and a creative understanding of child-friendly language. Clear communication and multitasking skills are a must.
- Send out the original English scripts for Tamil translations. Give inputs to the translator, see if the review is needed and get the copy proof read. Sign off the final ready to print Tamil PDF.
- Build a system to put the translation and correction processes in place.
- Track the workflow, observe the timelines, identify the bottleneck and communicate.
- Build a strong team of English- Tamil translators, reviewers and proof readers.
- Ensure the quality of translated work
- Keep in touch with the new trends and challenges in translation.
- Identify language experts in Tamil and send some of the translations for quality check.
- Preferably a degree, in Literature/Journalism/Mass Communication/Media /Language (Tamil)
- Experience of working in an editorial position in a publishing house and should have hands-on experience in translation, review, proofreading and production related processes.
- Excellent communication skills in Tamil and English.
- Sharp eyes to check copy
- Ability to multi-task and be a team player
- Good technology skills
- Passion for children’s literature
Nice to have but not mandatory: Experience in working with children’s literature
Location: Position is based out of Bengaluru
Salary: Will commensurate with experience. We are looking for a passionate individual who wants to be part of a team that is creating a new model in multilingual publishing to address the scarcity of books for children in need
Write to us: Email your resume with 'Language editor, Tamil' in the subject line to email@example.com.