We're hiring four Assistant Editors
Pratham Books is India’s largest, not-for- profit, multi-lingual children’s book publisher. Being multilingual, the key objective is to publish high quality, affordable books in multiple Indian languages for the reading pleasure of children. In 13 years, we have published over 3000 books across languages and distributed over 14 million copies of our books and 16 million story cards.
Pratham Books is looking for a creative person to take on the work of an assistant editor. The position involves reading and review of new manuscripts, editing chosen manuscripts, managing the workflow with authors, designers and illustrators, working with the design team, proofing copy at the layout and print stage, writing copy for blurbs, catalogues and promotional events. The assistant editor will also need to co-ordinate with the administrative team for documentation, records and payments. We expect this person to bring in new ideas to create interesting books in Indian languages for children, especially those children who may be first-generation school-goers. The position requires an interest in children’s literature and a creative understanding of child-friendly treatment of subjects.
- Ability to evaluate and edit manuscripts
- Excellent communication skills in English and any other Indian language
- Ability to copy-edit
- Sharp eyes to check copy
- Ability to write copy for blurbs, catalogues and promotional material
- Ability to maintain and document day-to- day editorial assignments
- Ability to track work and co-ordinate with the administrative team
- Ability to multi-task and be team player
- Basic computer skills
- Degree in Literature/Journalism/Mass Communication/Media /Language
- Ability to visualise and engage creatively with the design team
At least 3-4 years in an editorial position would be good. Preference will be given to candidates who have worked in children's publishing or with children.
This is a fulltime position, one in our New Delhi office and three in our Bengaluru office.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Please send your resume and sample of work to firstname.lastname@example.org with & 'Assistant Editor – and your name' in the subject line of the email.
To know more about what we do, visit www.prathambooks.org and blog.prathambooks.org