|Image by zenrainman|
If you are in Delhi, Gurgaon or the NCR region, we'd like you to get a copy of Hindustan Times on 1st May, 2013 and come on-board as a Pratham Books Reading Champion. Pratham Books has a special illustrated story for little ones inside tomorrow's Hindustan Times edition. This story can be read out to children who cannot read, are learning to read or given to children who cannot afford books. This initiative is part of the Hindustan Times, 'You Read, They Learn' initiative which was launched last year through which Hindustan Times channels a portion of the cover price to fund NGOs working to educate under-served children.
With over 200 million children in the country who need good books, Pratham Books realizes that no one organization can do this alone. Our approach, therefore has been to collaborate with other organizations. In this context, the Hindustan Times 'You Read, They Learn' initiative fits well with our mission. The storybooks have been provided free of cost as Pratham Books has an open and inclusive policy on content.
For the price of a newspaper, you get the opportunity to participate in a campaign to improve literacy. All copies of Hindustan Times and select copies of Mint and HT Mini will carry these joyful books. They will also be uploaded online and the books will also be promoted on Fever 104 FM tomorrow, 1st May 2013.
So don't forget to get your copy!
Happy reading and happy sharing!
Ways in which to use the cut-out book:
- Get school children to collect the cut-out books from Hindustan Times readers who have finished reading the newspaper and share them with children who cannot afford to buy books.
- Get children who can read to read out the story to children who cannot read.
- Inspire youngsters on vacation to take the book and read it at a place where out-of-school kids gather to play.
- Ask children to ‘extend’ the story and help them write it.
- Talk about this initiative to spread the joy of reading so that more people join you to make India a reading nation.
- Buy multiple copies of the paper if you want to gift more books to kids.
Share your story :
All stories that we receive will feature on the Pratham Books blog. You can read about the Pratham Books Reading Champions initiative and our Champions' experiences of reading out to children here.